12 December, 2010

Dieting: a tedious topic.

There's a certain discomfort I feel whenever I discuss dieting with others.  Invariably the topic comes up in conversation, and everyone feels compelled to offer input or an opinion about weight, food or diets.  It's only fair, I suppose, because no one can avoid eating, everyone has a food culture to defend and, of course, there's a certain diet-schadenfreude to be enjoyed, either towards another or oneself.

In the past when trying to lose weight, I've dreaded dealing with the topic.  Somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew I was destined for failure and I'd be ashamedly facing these same folks a year down the road, having put back on all of the weight I so arduously took off.  However, this time the opposite is true.  I feel extremely confident that I've finally landed on a path to optimal health and an ideal weight and a balanced, consistent method for maintenance.  What I don't feel comfortable with is sounding like a disciple for veganism.  So many people get threatened by the notion of losing their milk or their pork ribs or their fast food cheeseburgers.  Frankly, I have no desire to proselytize on behalf of animal rights.  In fact, the only reason I undertook this venture was that the Eat to Live thesis warning against the dangers of too much animal protein just made sense to me.  It was an "Ahah!" moment.  Joel Fuhrman's argument in favor of nutrient dense plant foods and the phytochemicals they provide really clinched it for me.  I've had fifty years of experience eating loads of animal protein, processed foods, sugar and highly refined psuedo-foods.  It was time to do an about face.

The political component of veganism holds little interest for me.  The practical benefits are where the real gold is.  In a little over a month I've gone from an obese, hypertensive, sweating, palpitating mess to a man on the mend.  I feel as though I've been quietly reborn.  In the past I treated my car better than I treated my own body.  I wouldn't flinch at putting premium gasoline in the tank of my Lexus -- my own tank got stuffed with great gobs of lard.

I'm writing this blog to celebrate the process of discovering a way of life that finally WORKS!  The good news is that I didn't have to have a heart attack to find my way.  I cannot emphasize this enough: having a loving, supportive spouse who will do anything to help one achieve one's goal is the greatest gift.  Maya, you're such a blessing.  I love you and thank you from the bottom of my heart.


Tonight's meal

Field greens 

Maya pan toasts walnuts, garlic and dried cranberries ... !

Swiss Chard with garlic

Split pea soup with roasted red pepper and herbs

1 comment:

  1. Melinda and I know a lady that runs a chain of vegan restaurants in Chicago. Her biggest tip is "soak your nuts"... You get a lot more from your nuts if you soak them the night before :)

    ReplyDelete